Beyond Hollywood and Cartoon Network, there is an amazing world of animation you’ve never seen.
Independent animators produce hundreds of short films each year that are in turn hilarious, heart-warming, and profound. Sadly, without million-dollar advertising budgets, you probably won’t ever hear about these gems. The NW Animation Festival seeks to change this.
Here’s our vision: We want Portland Oregon to host the biggest animation festival in the USA. Instead of a dozen or so films, our goal is an abundant feast of 200+ each year. Let there be a mix of new work both from masters of the art and from remarkable amateurs. An event that inspires and brings together a community of artists.
- To feed animation lovers’ craving with a sprawling feast of new work.
- To showcase the breadth of animation methods: hand-drawn, computer-generated, stop-motion, hybrid experiments, and more.
- To re-inspire independent animators each year with an infusion of new ideas and imagery.
- To encourage students and emerging artists by helping them get their first showing on the big screen.
- To expand audiences’ understanding of what can be done with this art form.
- In some small way, to nourish the art of animation, helping it grow and evolve.